Rate My Ink Site Blog
Thursday, August 09, 2007
Site Updates and Features Got some good news after the last 2 disasters. I've just released some site updates, the changes are:
- Email notification for comments. When someone comments on one of your pictures you will be sent an email letting you know. You can enable or disable this feature in your profile by clicking "Send me email when someone comments on my pictures" on or off.
- Better mature pic handling. Previously if you accidentally marked a picture as mature you could not remove the mark. I did this for two reasons, firstly I needed a way to enforce some kind of standard, I didn't want to mark something as mature and then have a user remove that mark, I use to get a lot of complaints on some of the more racy pictures. Secondly some of my advertisers do not allow their ads to be placed next to nudity or other content of a mature nature. I use the mature picture mark to decide which ad to show, if people removed the mature mark on a picture containing nudity then the income that keeps the site going is in danger. Anyway, with the update you can remove the mature mark on a picture, I added in a 2nd mature mark just for moderators, so they can override the users mark if needed.
- Login redirects. I've changed the way login works so that the first screen you see after login is the same as the page you came from. So if you try to post a comment if you are not logged in you will be presented with a login box, once you enter you details you will go straight to the picture comment page. Under the old system you were sent to the generic login confirmation, then you had to search around to find the picture you were trying to comment on again, or whatever else you were trying to do.
- Edit anywhere. I've consolidated the way the gallery, user pictures and profile picture previews are shown, so now if you have the permissions to edit a picture, i.e you are the owner or a moderator, you will see the "edit, delete, stats" controls wherever you see the picture, you don't have to go to "my pictures" to edit pictures anymore.
- Mature pic labels - If you enable mature pictures in your profile you will see mature pictures labeled as such in gallery, user pictures ans profile preview views.
- Internal changes. I've made a bunch of other internal changes that you probably won't notice, things like security fixes, code cleanup and data restructuring
Let me know if you run into any problems, as always there are more changes in the pipeline.
posted by Joe @ 5:58 PM 11 comments
Wednesday, August 08, 2007
Scumware Warning I'm incredibly upset and embarrassed to have to say they ratemyink.com was compromised by scumware, spyware viruses or whatever you want to call it for at least the last few days, at the very most the last week.
I've been trying out some different advertising networks and it seems the last one I was with had some malicious ads on their network that tried to install viruses and spyware on some visitors to ratemyink.com. I never saw this myself, I suspect Firefox was not effected, but I was told about it by others, I also got an automated notification from Google (which was nice).
I've canned the ad network involved, and I'm feeling really bad right now to have subjected ratemyink.com visitors to this, I hope it didn't cause to much damage.
posted by Joe @ 9:33 PM 0 comments
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Bugger I've been making some server upgrades tonight and I did something stupid that caused the site to loose the last 20hrs or so of updates. I've restored the database from the last good backup ( thank god for backups ) but this will still mean that any new signups, pictures, comments and any other changes posted in the last 20 hours have been lost.
It pains me for this to happen, many apologies to those that this has effected.
posted by Joe @ 11:50 PM 0 comments
Sunday, March 04, 2007
We're back If you're reading this then the server transfer worked! I ran into a few problems so it took a bit longer than expected.
Now I'll be able to focus on adding features to the site again, stay tuned
posted by Joe @ 9:11 AM 0 comments
Sunday, February 11, 2007
Getting bigger - time for a new server Rate My Ink has really been picking up in the last few months, we've had more users per day than ever before and there are a ton of great new pictures being posted every day. I'm sure we'll be cracking 20,000 pictures in the next few weeks! thanks guys!
All this extra activity is fantastic but it's putting quite a load on my old 2.0 GHz P4 server, I've gone and bought a new dual core Conroe system last week in an effort to speed the site up. It's costing twice as much per month as the old one but I think it's going to be worth it. The new server is not live yet, as usual it's taking me a while to get it all set up and ready. I'll be working on it this week, I'm hoping to be able to move the site over next weekend. The site will probably be down for 24-48 hours while the new IP propagates across the net, it will be worth it though.
posted by Joe @ 10:26 PM 0 comments